At Second Harvest Heartland, we believe our differences make us stronger. We draw strength from the unique experiences of each and every employee and our community. We aspire to foster an inclusive culture - in the way we interact with each other and in every area of our work. We commit to advancing equity to make Second Harvest Heartland a better place to work, to be a better partner and to inspire a community where equity is a driver to ultimately end hunger.
Join our team as a Social Media Intern. This internship will be an integral piece of the digital, communications and brand functions of the External Relations Team. Reporting to the Social Media Specialist with support from the Director of Communications, the Social Media Intern will cultivate and maintain social communities, support the development and deployment of editorial calendars, lead research on influencer and channel strategies, and hone skills in social listening, management, reporting and paid through use of tools including Meltwater, Sprout Social, Google Analytics, Facebook Business Manager and more.
- Total time requirement: October-May, approximately 15-20 hour/week.
- Days of the week: Days of the week for this position are flexible.
- Time of the day: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (flexible within these hours).
- Work sites: Hybrid position with at least one day per week at our Brooklyn Park office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Social Community Management
- Cultivate and maintain Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube communities.
- Develop audience profiles by channel including key insights.
- Provide customer service and support creation of response matrices
- Editorial Content Support
- Support the development and deployment of editorial calendars, including participating in content capture events in community or content strategy sessions.
- Review and provide content performance insights to inform content calendar planning.
- Special Projects Research (to be negotiated based on interest and learning objectives)
- Conduct TikTok channel assessment including relevant influencers and potential content territories.
- Conduct influencer research to inform brand influencer strategy recommendation, including campaign/partnership ideas.
- Conduct cause marketing/sponsorship research, including campaign/partnership ideas.
- Analytics and Reporting
- Contribute to the creation of regular social performance reviews.
- Contribute to the creation of monthly reports for internal stakeholder review and content optimizations.
- Knowledge of and experience managing social media platforms (personal or professional) including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, including exceptional writing and grammar skills.
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills to create a welcoming and inclusive environment where everyone is welcomed and valued.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, manage and follow through on multiple daily tasks and projects, including high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Microsoft Office, Office 365 and the ability to learn other computer software programs.
- Demonstrated creative mindset and learning attitude.
- Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency and enthusiasm, both individually and as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-demand environment.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with Sprout Social or other scheduling platforms.
- Experience with Adobe or other design software specifically for social content creation.
- Experience with photo and/or video capture and editing.
- Experience working with and/or designing influencer campaigns.
- Experience creating and/or supporting and evaluating social campaigns.
- Bilingual in other languages highly desired, (Spanish, Somali, Hmong).
- We deliver.
- We lead with our hearts.
- We innovate.
- We are all in this together.
- We believe our differences make us stronger.
Professional Development & Learning Objectives:
Learning objectives can be jointly developed between the chosen candidate and Social Media Specialist and Director of Communications. Several possible learning objectives that fit within this position include:
- Confidence in posting to social and managing community.
- Development/Refinement of social media writing style and best content practices.
- Experience within nonprofit sector and hunger-relief space.
- Experience with digital campaigns.
Starting Pay Range: $15 - $20 USD hourly or more / Dependent on Qualifications and Experience.
Second Harvest Heartland is an EEO/AA Employer.
Second Harvest Heartland believes no one should ever go hungry, as our region produces more than enough food for everyone. Helping hungry neighbors find their next meal-so they can thrive at work, in the classroom and in their communities-is what drives Second Harvest Heartland, its partners and supporters. Beyond feeding hungry neighbors, Second Harvest Heartland believes in the importance of our work to help sustain our environment.